MrKen Solid Wood – The Ultimate Designer Low-Energy Ceiling Fan
Design – This is the most popular model in MrKen’s whole ceiling fan range that was introduced in 2016 and now selling an impressive 18,000 units per year. It is the core part of the Design Collection and it is easy to see why it is loved and specified by customers, architects and interior designers alike. You will find it in many of the most luxurious hotels in Asia. The simple but very stylish design with a slim body in popular contemporary finishes makes this the ultimate fashion accessory for your room whether at home or in the office, hotel or restaurant. But don’t be mislead by the design which is surpassed only by its amazing performance.
Bedrooms – This fan is perfect for bedrooms. See our video of one in a Bermondsey flat where the owner was struggling to get a good night’s sleep due to the heat and lack of fresh air. She was not being able to open the window much due to being on the ground floor and also due to the street noise. After fitting it she got her first decent night’s sleep since moving in 6 months earlier and is not waking up 4 or 5 times a night any more. See the case study for more information.
The MrKen Wood’s impressive operation is totally silent on the lower speeds and it can be left running all night giving a far more pleasant alternative to a noisy and dry air conditioning unit. It can also be left running by open windows to draw in the cool night air so that the room is lovely and cool in the morning ready to soak up heat for the next hot day.
Case Study – See how one customer deployed this fan in their small London city flat to solve their sleep problems with pics and video MrKen Wood Small City Flat
Low-Energy Motors – Inside is one of the world’s most efficient highest quality DC fan motors and is US EPA energy star rated. The motors are made in Taiwan, which is renowned for its motor and DC control technology and where the best ceiling fans are manufactured.
This fan uses the very latest second generation technology which is far more robust and reliable than that currently used by most of the competition. Variations and surges or spikes in power or voltage which would normally blow a regular DC controller are filtered out by its ingenious voltage protection system. Its ultra-low energy consumption means an amazing 3 watts is all that is required to run it at slow speed rising to 35 watts at max.
Blades – The blade manufacturing process in involved and represents the best in class. It starts by taking sheets of paulownia or balsa wood and compressing them to prevent any warping when in a different humidity or climate. Three sheets are then glued together into a block which is then CNC machine milled out into the 3D propeller shape. The blade is hand sanded, finished and painted. The blades are then put into sets of three and hand balanced to avoid any wobble. The whole process is both very expensive and tricky resulting in over 10% of them being rejected. The result though is a set of beautiful stable and precisely balanced blades that are light to hold (low energy use) and turn but which deliver a lovely smooth gentle, wobble-free silent wind.
White finish – The white blade and body colour match is not a pure brilliant white colour but a slight off-white (touch of cream) as this is a far popular finish. There are a few small natural flecks/grain and cutting marks from the manufacturing process that you will see on the white blades when looking close up but not notice when the fan is up. This would be expensive to eliminate completely and to do so would increase the production cost markedly. These marks cannot be seen on the other colours so if you prefer a perfect finish then please either go for another colour or the ABS plastic moulded blade version. A traditional two- dimensional plywood blade is another cheaper alternative.
Hugger version – The hugger/flush mount version comes with a separate adaptor kit to reduce the drop of the fan from 38 cm to 23 cm. Installation instructions are here.
– 52″/132cm diameter blade sweep
– Finishes: Matt black with oak or maple blades, brushed nickel with matt black or oak blades and white body and blades
– Solid lightweight wood blades made from either compressed Birch Grove (to make it warp proof), Balsa or Paulownia soft wood (known for its warp resistance) in sustainable forests in China
– Set of 3 hand-balanced wooden carved blades to prevent wobble
– DC Low energy motor with 2nd generation driver electrical spike protection
– 240v – 50 Hz
– 6 speed DC-1 remote control
– Super Quiet – The MrKen DC motor (along with the Matthews Irene) are our quietest motors and on the slow speeds are completely silent. At the highest speed there is only a bit of wind movement noise but no motor noise at all. This makes it perfect for bedrooms where any slight sound in the still of night is amplified.
– Remote control has timer ability for 1, 3 and 6 hours
– Reverse function – on the remote control
– “Wind assured” operation – This means only smooth laminar airflow is created and no uncomfortable buffeting turbulence that irritates the eyes
– 8″/20cm drop rod using a hemispherical ball that locks on to the end and fits into a hanger bracket inside the canopy (all supplied)
– Can be angled up to 35 degrees but will need a longer drop rod
– Max power 35 w at highest speed, lowest speed only 3 w.
– Max speed 246 rpm
– Airflow 11,050 m3/h = 6,500 cfm
– Lifetime motor warranty
– 3 year rust proof warranty
– No motor wobble balanced motor
– Energy star low-energy certified
NB: The blade fixing to the motor has now been redesigned to prevent any damage but some stock still can be damaged if not assembled correctly – please see note for details. Important MrKen Blade Installation Damage Notice